RP [Phoenix Team] - See Inside

Discussion in 'Phoenix Team' started by Luca, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Luca

Luca Administrator Staff Member

I'm the day, I'm the day
    I can show you the way
    And look - I'm right beside you
    I'm the night, I'm the night
    I'm the dark and the light
    With eyes that see inside you

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain

Sargasso, Redfield, Escher's Bazzar
    A few nights ago...

Redfield was Sargasso's alien melting pot. If the metaphor was taken literally, the broth would smell vaguely of fruit, taste somewhat like vegetables, and leave a distinctly spicy aftertaste. For human palettes, these particular flavours thrown together wouldn't make much sense, and they wouldn't work from a conventional standpoint, based on their understanding of what a flavour is. Even then, aliens found most humanborn cuisine just as odd. There was a suitable medium where the two blended well.

However, one resident of Sargasso wasn't finding his most recent spoonful of Redfield to his liking, standing inside the hazy, cluttered, and deceptively large hideaway of Escher's Bazaar. A balding Greaseheart in his thirties whose highest achievement was being captain of the school football team in his youth was standing at the counter, waving brazen idol at an indifferent proprietor.

Pointing to statuette, the man yelled: "I was told this thing would bring me good luck!" The idol itself was carved from the glassy rock of an asteroid, imbued with some runes of an unknown script, and its face split down the middle. One half was laughing, the other half was crying. "For the past six years, its been rotten! I lost my job at the school, my wife left me and I got screwed in the divorce, and-"

"Please tell me more about why I should care," The the titular Escher cut them off. Something about looking into Escher's eyes for too long unsettled the soul - something about them wasn't right - even aliens thought Escher's flavour of being was too strange. Rage blinded the customer from being intimidated. "It is not my job to look too closely at the properties of my wares, perhaps you should have taken it to an appraiser."

Escher stared closer at the man, unflinching at their impotent rage. "I warned you to do so shortly after you bought this six years ago, and you haven't taken my-"

"Fine! Whatever!" The man stuffed the idol into his bag and stormed out of the store, going up (or down?) some Penrose steps on the way out, grumbling. Escher shrugged - he had lots of unsatisfied customers in the past.

The customer stepped into his car. It had a few chokes and short-strokes before getting started and when it got going he drove over the eastern bridge of Delta North. He tossed the statuette out of his car and into the bay below. "Stupid piece of junk," he concluded, thinking he was rid of his problems.

Eventually, the man got home. Between getting out of his car and getting to his apartment he was harassed by a chihuahua, splashed by a sudden and highly localised rainstorm, and tripped over as he got into the elevator. As he hung up his coat and placed his bag down on the table, he noticed something unwelcome sitting on his kitchen counter.

"Wh... I threw you in the river." He thought he'd clearly lost his mind. "How - why -"

The idol's eyes glowed red and furious for being wronged by its owner, and imposed itself on him - its brazen avatar glowing to life and rising from its confines. It crawled on six legs towards him as he tried to run for the door.

But it was already there.

Elsewhere...
    Here and now...

The Man in Red had reserved a table at the Hero's Armaments, and put a call out on the Phoenix Team's groupchat to come by for a few drinks and some food on his dollar. After all, he had to look after his team - because they would look after him. It was a pretty quiet weekend too, the usual sounds of hustle and bustle absent. In its place, the TV was tuned to a local sitcom.

Luca was waiting and passing the time by playing with the condiments, pretending they were pieces in one of those strategy games he kept seeing on the ads. A redheaded Maidenhand walked past Luca's table on her way to serving an order. Empty chairs and placemats were waiting for customers. "When are your guests arriving?" Ally asked as she passed by.

Luca looked up from making the forces of Commander Salt and Commander Pepper from coming to loggerheads, lest Colonel Mustard and Captain Soy Sauce's detachments intervened. "They should be here pretty soon," he replied, putting the salt and pepper down and his arms behind his head. "I'll have a beer while I'm waiting though."

Ally nodded and continued on with her order, dropping a few pints off for the tradies having their first drink of the day. Luca meanwhile checked his communicator, scrolling back up to the message he posted in the group chat earlier in the week.

Jimmy likes this.
  2. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Hero's Armaments,
    The Outside is inside, unless it's not...

Breyja got the text, and had actually booted her date out the door and dove into the shower to get ready and make herself presentable for a trip to a bar. which consisted of her tugging on a pair of civvies. and then hoping onto her bike. Ear pinned back as she settled her helmet on her head and tore through the streets and back alleys. He said drinks, and she was hoping they were free, or at the very least cheap.

The sound of her bike's engine cut out as she pulled into a parking spot, stuck the helmet atop the machine and unzipped her sports jacket. shoved her keys into a cargo pocket on her pants and gave the door to the bar a good booting open with her combat booted foot. Tail twitching, ears flicking and she easily found herself bellowing out above the din in a fashion only a MaidenHand could manage, "HAAAAAY LUUUCCCAAAAAAA!!!!" She dipped, ducked, dodged, dived and dodged her way across a nearly empty room and slid into a seat next to him with a slightly smug grin, "Bars nearly empty, and I find you at the bar flirting with the tender. whats crackin' bossman?"

3. Moogle

Moogle Administrator Staff Member

Sargasso, Galacta Candy Factory

"Abhiya, take my calls would you? Looks like I've got sudden business on the other side of town," The silver-haired youth told his cybernetic lamia factory boss. Abhiya sighed tiredly and hit a button on her desk's comms as Seiren closed his office door.

Sargasso, Hero's Armaments
    The formerly business-ready inventor was now battle ready. He wore a strange metal collar that resembled a large lug-nut, and connected to it was a black form-fitting shirt that went all the way down to make gloves with blue palms on the hands. His legs had a skirt that parted down the middle to reveal shorts.

Seiren flicked one of his tassles as he entered the bar, light bouncing off the sleek black plastics of his backpack.

"Howdy, Mr. Fister!" Seiren called from across the bar as he walked towards Luca and settled into a chair.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Heroes Arms Hotel,

With far less fuss, a third person entered the pub. All six foot and some of them, a rather rotund looking owl-like creature on their shoulder, and large yellow eyes staring out of a motorcycle helm. The helmeted head scanned the room before spotting Luca and his... friends.

Pinching the waitress's bottom cheekily with their knuckles as they walked over, the tall figure was revealed to have claws, a skinny physique for their height, two knees on each leg.

"Friend Luca." It greeted simply, waving a large clawed hand over one of its eyes before dropping it.

The eyes peered down at the small gathering before it. Slit pupils, focused like a laser beam. The owl on its shoulder yawned loudly.

"I did not know you were into polygamy as well as exotic partners. I always thought your kind to be monogam-monogamist? Is how you say?" It continued.

"WHO'S THE BUTCHDYKE AND THE WEE JAILBAIT BITCH BOY?" Asked the owl-thing.

Eistheid likes this.
  5. Sham

Sham Member

=== Sargasso, Hero's Armaments, Just Outside ===

"Oi, get outta the way you big lug!"

Ravnir paused, his foot hovering an inch off the ground, poised to leave yet another audible thump as he trekked around the streets. His footsteps could even be felt by those close enough to him. Seen when the ground wasn't sturdy enough for his immense weight. One would think others would take such heavy footfalls as a warning all their own. Ravnir supposed it didn't work here, at least for this one fellow.

The Raiken turned his head, planting his foot down firmly before regarding the small human person who decided to bother him today. Barely tall enough to reach Ravnir's chest. He was brawny, at least for his species. Ravnir had never thought them to be very strong however. He could push one over with a single finger.

Ravnir turned to face the smaller creature, a frown gracing his lips. It seemed it had occurred to the other that irritating such a large creature was unwise, but it was too late to back down now. The human stood up taller, pointing a finger at Ravnir, "Yeah, I'm talking to you!"

"Oh, pardon me. I thought you were talking to someone else, but now that I know you're talking to me..." Ravnir started, taking a step forward, closing the gap between them neatly. He glared down at the human with a deepening frown, "I suppose I'll just have to greet you in a traditional manner." Ravnir smirked before lunging forward with his head, headbutting the human and sending him to the floor with a thump. "Hi. I'm Ravnir. Perhaps you should consider leaving." He said with a laugh, knowing the human was probably unconscious and suffering from a concussion. He could even be dead, but Ravnir didn't pay that much mind. If he was, he certainly had it coming to him.

He stood up straight, turning away and continuing down the street, his heavy tail dragging along behind him, looking around for a place that had food, maybe a drink. It had taken getting used to not having a central feasting hall where food and company could always be found, but he supposed the bars and taverns that populated the rest of the galaxy were enough. They had to be when home wasn't an option. Still, he sometimes felt the urge to throw all the furniture together and set a fire for the atmosphere.

He paused as he passed the Hero's Armament, glancing up at the sign with a frown. He started to rub his chin, "Mmmm.... Hmmmmmm... Hero's Armament... sounds like a place to get a weapon. How strange." Still, it looked like a place to find food and it certainly smelled like it, so he decided to pay it a visit.

=== Sargasso, Hero's Armament ===

Ravnir pushed the door open with a practiced gentleness akin to a giant in a porcelain house. Too many doors had suffered from him learning just how much strength he needed to open one. Many of those doors ended up in his hand, no longer attached to the frame. Sometimes the frame had come with it. Sometimes the person who had been on the other side came with it as well, which was rather awkward for him.

He nodded to whomever greeted him, bartender and waitress alike before seeking out somewhere to rest, which was a quest befitting a hero. He noticed that most of the galaxy that he had been to, which was populated by humans, had made their chairs or benches out of wood or weak metal. Someone with his weight couldn't hope to sit in something so flimsy. He was relieved whenever a place had seats for people like him. It was fortunate that the Hero's Armament was one such place, Sargasso being the melting pot that it was. He sat down with a sigh and leaned back in the sturdy metal chair, his tail tapping on the floor.

He noticed that the bar was relatively quiet, only a few scattered patrons and a group that seemed to be forming at a nearby table. With an... interesting bunch, to be sure. He thought he recognized the one in a red jacket and the odd hair. Ravnir started rubbing his chin again, pondering where he had seen such a figure. Maybe the news. He started humming to himself, lost in thought, forgetting to even place an order.

6. Luca

The Hero's Armaments, Interior
    Watching Breyja (and hearing her) come in was difficult to ignore as she made her way towards the table. Luca waved towards the Maidenhand and let her take a seat. "Oh, that's Ally - she's our contact here." Luca indicated towards the redhead, who skipped along and put a pint down in front of Luca. "Thanks~"

"Hi there, beer for you too?" The waitress asked Breyja, leaning in. The cat-eared maidenhand was discerned the waitress was a Maidenhand too - but there didn't seem to be any obvious posse marks, or any animal aspects - for the most part Ally looked very human. There were two possibilities to arise from the observation: They were a finger, or a pariah. Beneath the waitress' notice, the white-haired kid made their way inside, and took a seat at Luca's table.

"Oh! Aren't you adorable?" Ally squeed when she noticed Seiren. She didn't pay mind to the odd looking garb, assuming all of Luca's friends were always dressed for a fight. "Would you like something to drink?" Shortly after she asked, the Waitress yelped as the Chelti walked past her and pinched her on the rear. "Ahn~ Hi Snuffles!" Judging by the elated tone of voice Ally was using and the blush spreading across her face - the two must've been 'friends'; Maybe this was why the waitress was a pariah, but it was only the tip of an iceberg not many would be willing to swim for.

"Who's the yapping ball of feathers? New stuffing for my couch?" Luca rebutted at the bird on the Chelti's shoulder. He raised his drink and beckoned the Chelti over to sit with them. "Welcome, welcome everyone," he said, bringing those who'd assembled so far to order. A menu laid before everyone seated, and it was offering brunch specials, and an extensive drinks menu with all the favourites. Greaseheart beer, Maidenhand cocktails, Chelti rotgut, and fizzy soft drinks.

"I'll have the steak and chips, thanks," Luca said, handing his menu to Ally. Most of the items on the menu were the standard pub fare: Burgers, steak, salads, risotto, spaghetti with meat or wine sauce stood out as the big dishes, while smaller snacks like onion rings or wedges to share were also on. In a section in the back, there were foods for aliens with dietary requirements, enlarged portions, or strange cooking techniques - consequently adding more to the price.

"I suppose we should introduce ourselves then," The man in red said, rubbing his hands together as he looked at his motley so far. "You guys already know me one way or another, so no introduction needed here." He was a little anxious though - he had three complete strangers with very different backgrounds and worldviews together. Sparks could fly.

While the others took their time to read their menus, Ally was making the rest of her rounds. She got behind the counter to grab her next lot, and watched the largest customer in a while slowly make their way inside of the bar. Thankfully, the Armaments was equipped with the gear necessary to facilitate such customers, and was renovated for heavy clients after the collapsing floor incident of PA 257.

"Joey, get the stoneware out," she quickly signalled the kitchen crew before leaving the bar and approaching the Raiken customer. "Hello! Welcome to the Hero's Armaments, what would you like today, sir?" Ally looked at the large, and somewhat lanky lizard. She'd seen a Raiken pass through before, but didn't remember them being so skinny. Adjusting the size of the meal portions would've run the Raiken's bill up, but a lizard had to eat.

7. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

"NOW LISTEN TO ME YOU WALKING DEEP-SHAGPILE HOOLIGAN. I'LL SHOVE MY FEATHERY ARM SO FAR UP YOUR A-"

The large alien calmly took a seat, took a few of the complimentary peanuts from the tray in the middle and shoved them into the rowdy birds beak, drowning out the tirade into loud munching and faint cursing.

"Silly hooluroo, you don't have arms." The large alien chided tenderly before its large yellow eyes turned to the rest of the table.

A large clawed hand went to its chin, the middle claw was filed into a chisel shape rather than a point. With a click and a sigh it lifted the face of the helmet and drew it off to rest on their lap, revealing the rounded dull features of one of the local chelti. Commonly typified as habitual troublemakers and other such things.

"I am called Mister Snuffles by your kind, the manikin have trouble remembering our full names sometimes. I am man catcher among other things. I met Luca at a mall, it was fun." It said simply.

There was a muted grumble from the bird-like creature on their shoulder as it hopped down and buried its face in the peanuts.

"And his name is Sparrow. He says I'm his sidekick. He's cute in that ugly animal kind of way, so I kept him. Nice to meet you all. Isn't it?"

The alien asked the last to the bird, a hand reaching out to gently scratch Sparrows back as it engorged itself on nuts.

8. Moogle

"I know I should be offended, but I'm just amazed that bird is talking," Seiren calmly responded to Sparrow's jabs. "I've never heard of a talking owl before. I think that's an owl. Is it an owl?"

Seiren paid no attention to the massive lizardman who entered the room after Mister Snuffles. To Allison, he'd responded, "Just something with pikefruit in it. I'm thinking a Blue Hedgehog, maybe? Ooh, and a bit of 'sketti with sausage. Thanks!"

With the order out of the way, Seiren gave a slight bow to the two- three people. . . well, two people and a bird - that he was unfamiliar with at the table.

"Nice to meet you, Mister Snuffles. I'm Seiren Isbala. Maybe you saw me on CIN the other day? I run the candy company on the other side of town. You look like the kind of person who'd enjoy one of my prototypes. I'm not sure what to call it yet, but here."

He handed Mister Snuffles a red coloured orb that perhaps in another life would'be been called a Phoenix candy. But for now, it was a small fiery ball of death.

Seiren tilted his head at Breyja. "And you?"

9. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Breyja stared at the bird with an unreadable expression for a few moments, then her face lit up like a child that had just seen what it wanted most in life beyond crushing one's enemies, seeing them driven before them and hearing the lamentations of their women. "THAT BIRD IS AWESOME!" She grinned when it was promptly shut up with a hand full of peanuts, "Haaaw! It munches on nuts. That's awesome."

She glanced towards Ally, and when asked for a drink she openly grinned, "Oh yeah. If Luca here is paying? I'm all for the drinking. How about something even a Maidenhand would find strong?" She glanced towards Luca and leant back as people filed in - apparently everyone here knew Luca in one fashion or another. As the brunch specials were brought up she whistled, "I'll have the number three. With all the fixing's too." Because why not?

The Maidenhand focused her attention on the two that introduced themselves and found herself late to the party as usual, "Hey Mister Snuffles, and You you, Seiren. Me? I'm Breyja Sarn. I've travelled a bit, worked as a Merc for one faction or another through the system. A mutual contact of ours linked us up to go rescue a VIP she absolutely adored." She paused and glanced towards Luca. "I honestly think that guy was more terrified of her than the meatheads we blew apart to get to him... anyways, off topic; I pull triggers, and patch holes in other trigger fingers."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  10. Sham

Sham Member

"Hmmmm...Mmmmmmm... Maybe I saw it... No... no... not that. Hmmmm..."

Ravnir frowned and continued rubbing his chin, oblivious to the fact that Ally was addressing him. It took another minute before he thought to look up, his eyes widening a little when he noticed her. "Oh! Pardon me, I was absorbed in thought." He offered a smile before looking down at the menu. "Hmm, what was I doing again? Oh, yes. Food." He carefully thumbed through the pages, taking care not to rip any of them out as he pondered what sounded best. His free hand started drifting back up to his chin but he snapped his fingers instead. Of course, him snapping his fingers was more akin to a small pistol going off. "Oh! Here we are. I will have a steak. Please make sure to char it some." Charred meat was standard fare at home. "Oh... and something strong. Mayhaps you have some Raiken liquor? If not... whatever works."

He wasn't the pickiest eater, like most of his kin. Nor could he really afford to be picky. It wasn't like he could find a feastmaster around every corner with a bonfire blazing. He had been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions by the quality of food away from home.

"Thank you. Roshya watch over you." He added as he handed the menu back to her, his gaze drifting back over to the other patrons and nearby group. The talking bird-creature perched on the Chelti's shoulder intrigued him. "Hmmm... talking animals? Mmmmm... it isn't very polite though. Hmmmm..."

And like that, Ravnir was rubbing his chin and thinking aloud once again.

11. Luca

The Hero's Armaments, Interior
    Taking everyone's orders at the team's table, Ally took the menus away and left the drinks list behind. Heading over to Ravnir, she made a special note to ensure the steak was char-grilled a bit crispier than usual - but not well done and tough. Steak had to be juicy, and the chef at the Armaments was entrusted with making it right. Soon, everyone's drink orders were put down in front of them. Breyja received a pot (half a pint!) of fortified strawberry liqueur from Asuka's strong enough to smell all around the table, Seiren got his Blue Hedgehog with a little umbrella in the glass, and Snuffles was given a beer - on the house from Ally.

Pleased with present company and glasses on the table, Luca raised his pint. "Grand that we're all here - because I want to get to know you together, as just doing so in the field individually does not a team make." He nodded sagely. The organisation was called 'Phoenix Team' for a reason. "So I'd like to-"

The television in the corner segued from a predictable cliffhanger in the soapie to an urgent news bulletin. The Astro News Radio marquee scrolled across accompanied by its synthetic jingle. A video feed cut to a man wearing a ballistic vest over a shirt and tie, carrying a microphone. Luca paused and focussed on the report, distracted. "Dennis Kirkhope, bringing you a live report here from the west shore of Flatirons Hill," the reporter glanced over their shoulder nervously before continuing, "where an unknown creature has emerged from the water and started breaking things, resembling a mutated crayfish-"

♫ Mission Music 03 - EDF 2025 Soundtrack ♫

The crayfish in question didn't look like a native species to Sargasso - being around two storeys tall would've been the first indication. Where its mouth and eye stalks would be located, a human face twisted into a pained expression with a blank eyes took their place. It stood on dozens of small legs, while it had six humanoid arms in two rows just below its face, and two enormous claws. A policeman was swept aside with a swipe of the claw and sent flying over a wall, and car was grabbed, lifted and thrown towards a building.

The news anchor made a hand signal scramble and the camera feed switched to a view from an overhead drone, watching the action as bullets and lasers bounced off the creature's carapace. The monster curled into a ball and rolled down the street, heading east. All the while, the audio from the anchor hadn't been cut, and panicked movement could be heard over the footage, followed by a car door opening and slamming, then engines revving on.

"KEEP FILMING!" Dennis yelled over the din.

Watching the news report, Luca's eyes narrowed, he grabbed his pint and begun necking the remainder of it, then slammed the empty glass down on the beer mat. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve and smiled. "You know what's better than talking about ourselves and what we do?" he proposed, looking over to the bar and towards Ally, making a hand signal to hold the table's orders. "Doing it!"

"Uh, Lukes?" Ally looked over her shoulder towards Luca, before peering through the window down the street and watching the rolly polly sea monster crushing its way towards them. The crayfish rolled over a row of parked cars, while red and blue lights were flashing in the distance behind the thing. Non-humanoid Units had slowly begun appearing to start cordoning the streets off to block traffic into the area, making sure it was clear for the UDD to get scrambled. "It might be closer than you think."

Standing up from his seat, Luca looked through the window. Breyja recognised the way he tilted his head, and everyone else could see the grin spreading across his face. "Lucky me, then!" He proclaimed. The other patrons in the pub had started running for the back door and left their meals behind - sanity and a sense of self preservation was on their side. Luca had foregone both for the thrill of the fight, and an opportunity to lead.

Ravnir could feel a magical presence coming closer and closer, originating from the crayfish everyone had their attention on outside. Anyone looking closer at the crayfish would've noticed a distinctive afterimage left in its wake, wisps and tendrils of smoke suggesting it was not of this world. Ravnir recognised it as sign of magical exertion, and perhaps corruption, from a Weird Thing.

Chances were the meals would be on the house if they made it scream.

12. Moogle

Seiren had enough time to take a sip of his funny little cocktail before the news broke loose.

"A bit light on the pike. . ." he mumbled, wincing a bit as he watched the events transpire. When it became more and more apparent (from the noises outside the pub, and from Luca's boistrous declaration) that they'd need to be doing something about this, Seiren reached into his strange backpack and pulled a bracer and a cylinder out. The bracer he put on his left, the cylinder he held in his right. With a flick and a shake respectively, both unfurled into a gauntlet and a bat.

"So it's a bit bigger than a regular rock monster, yeah? Shouldn't too bad. It's only a big bug. . . crustacean. Is it a bug or crustacean? Eh. Guess it doesn't matter. We'll batter it soon enough anyways," Seiren concluded.

"Hey, uh. . . Ally! Will our food be done by the time we get back?" he asked the server, giving a few tenative swings of the bat to get the weight back into his muscles. Carefully, as to not hit anything breakable.

13. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Breyja had taken to her drink when it had been delivered to her, there had been a short pause in her drinking as she watched the unfolding news along with the others present, "Hey Luca, You think it's going come... this... oh hells bells." She turned as Luca made his announcement and she recognized that damned tilt of his head. She'd seen it, and she knew. Breyja emptied her drink in a hurry and scrambled for the door, "Already on it Luca!" She didn't have to be told or convinced. A chance to take part in taking down a massive magically mutated monster? You could count her insane little tail-end in on that.

She mantled over her bike, and was already in the process of gathering her aid kit. The railgun Luca had seen her use came out in two pieces and snapped together swiftly, she doubted her SMG or her Pistol would even be useful. The Aid kit was incase someone screwed the pooch and she actually had to play Doc McFeelGood. Her head poked around the corner into the bar as she hollared, "Where ya want me?"

14. Sham

Sham Member

Ravnir was still humming aloud while the news broadcast was on the television. He caught it out of the corner of his eye, but he was too focused on pondering on the subject of talking animals and if everyone was just a talking animal when he felt... 'something'... creep up on him. He frowned, narrowing his eyes, looking around the bar. "Hmmm... something isn't quite right..." He muttered to himself. He could feel something off in the realm of magic. He rose to his feet, looking outside as the strange crayfish creature was rolling down the street, leaving carnage in its wake.

"Ah. There you are." He mused to himself. He had seen beasts sharing a likeness to this on some of the more dangerous beaches at home. One of the many reasons his people hated the water. Creatures like this dwelled in it. He stepped out of the bar, calmly pushing the door open and inspecting the creature further as it rolled towards him and the bar. He rubbed his chin and shook his head. "No no... you don't belong here." He kneeled and placed his hand on the ground, feeling stone and concrete beneath him. "I suppose I'll have to send you back then."

"Delsir." He said as he ran his hand along the ground, the stone starting to shift and glow at the word. After a moment, the hilt of a blade started emerging from the sidewalk, the blade literally growing out of the earth. Ravnir wrapped his hand around the pommel, a grin spreading over his lips. "Hello there, Cirul Aira. More work to do."

The blade seemed like it would never stop growing, reaching a full nine feet, as tall as Ravnir, before he plucked it from the earth and swung it onto his shoulder with both hands. The sword was chipped in multiple places and it wasn't all that decorative. A simple pommel and grip, with a horizontal guard. And a whole lot of blade for swinging.

15. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

The owl-like creature took its face out of the peanut bowl long enough to look out the window at the rampaging monster and grunt, unimpressed, before resuming its small feast.

The chelti at the table thanked Alison quietly and lapped at their beer with a long tongue, eyes peering over the glass out the window. It watched as the others readied their weapons, finishing its beer with steady gulps, it stopped for a moment as Ravnir pulled out his own blade before resuming with the last few gulps.

"I apologize before time, Ally." It said loudly.

With a loud smash the mug slammed into the table, shattering glass and froth scattered across the table and floor. The chelti now held a weapon, the handle of the mug armed with blades of glass.

"I am the only one here who didn't come to a meet and greet expecting a fight?" Mister Snuffles asked loudly as it slipped out from behind the table and walked briskly towards the door.

"Keep the chef close, Ally, I think I found my appetite."

16. Luca

The Hero's Armaments, Front Parking Lot
    After gathering his possessions, Luca stood up and started heading for the door with his team in tow, noticing that one of the other patrons had left the same way, and appeared to be pulling a sword out of the parking lot's blacktop. Drawing his pistol and heading forward, the man in red watched the large crustacean come to a stop and unfurl, as the Raiken hoisted their blade.

Luca seemed a bit incredulous, but impressed at the means. "What are you going to do, butcher it?" he asked in jest. As long as the problem was dealt with one way or the other, he was glad to have more company. He looked over his shoulder to Snuffles, "I think you got yourself a chef here!" Breyja, Seiren, and the Chelti were in behind Luca, and together they saw their foe! "It's showtime, people!"

♫ Mission Music 07 - EDF 2025 Soundtrack ♫

With a closer look at the weird-infused crayfish, its body was about twenty-odd feet long from its face to the fan on its tail, and upon its many smaller legs it stood at about fifteen feet tall. Eyestalks protruded from where the eye sockets would go on its twisted human face. They examined the group assembled outside, and Luca took aim very quickly at its face - it looked softer than the rest of its carapace. Its six or so 'main legs' which kept it upright also appeared to be a weak spot - the joints required mobility.

Despite the crayfish's size, it lunged towards Luca and Ravnir with uncanny speed and snapping pincers. Luca dove to his right side and rolled on the parking lot, claw driving a furrow into the ground. Taking aim, Luca retaliated by firing at its face. His first couple of shots hit the carapace around it and bounced into the air, but his next shot struck it on the cheek just below the eye socket, causing it to grunt in pain.

As Luca fired the last pulse in the buffer, the crustacean raised its claw from the ground to intercept the laser and swung towards Luca - smacking him and sending him bouncing across the lot. As he tumbled, he got back to his feet and into a fighting stance as a shimmer of orange hardlight passed over him, repositioning him with the force he'd been hit with.

Turning attention to the Raiken and keeping a claw raised near its face for defence, the creature snapped at them a few times before its other claw lunged for his torso!

At the edge of the pub's parking lot, a van could be heard screeching to a halt, followed by doors opening and hurried reporters rushing out. "This is Dennis Kirkhope and we're here live at the Hero's Armaments," he blurted into his microphone, red faced while the camera was thankfully pointing at the action, "where it appears the crustacean creature has met some resistance from the locals!" Metrics noted that the viewership was experiencing a spike.

17. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Breyja had without even a second thought followed behind Luca. Everytime the lad turned up, she found a fight. Which was now a firm two for two. The small Maidenhand carting a railgun in one arm and a medkit slung across her back was a sight. Her response to the Parrot was perfect, "You come to a bar in Sargasso and have to ask?" She did take a moment to gaze in slight wonder when Ravnir had yanked a sword from the blacktop. when Luca occupied it's attention she sprinted for the corner of the nearby building where she could stay close but still make shots count. The discharge from Luca's weapon pricked her ears while she watched his shot placements with her scope watching the one round score was a plus but the view was swiftly replaced by a claw forcing her to shift her aim. The low whine of the weapon spooling up then discharging with a crack as the weapon spat out a 12mm spike at the nearest knee-joint on one of it's forelegs. Crippling it to prevent more destruction was more on her mind than trying to fight it head on, "Luca! Think we might take this fight somewhere other than the middle of town?"

The sound of the newsies and the van made her inwardly groan, especially when they started reporting live on the spot, "Take cover out of sight you stupid gits!"

18. Moogle

Seiren left the pub with a sprint, taking stock of the current situation. It seemed like somebody needed to go on overwatch, since the hideous crawfish seemed to have a carapace a bit too sturdy for just simply small arms fire.

The inventor aimed his gauntlet at one of the nearby rooftops and flicked his wrist, pulling himself up with invisible force. Once he landed, he surveyed carefully.

"Hey gojira guy!" Seiren called out to the Raiken below. "Break a fire hydrant and funnel the water towards the crawfish!"

He then turned his attention to the man that called them together. "Luca, that'll make it easy to shock. Water creatures are weak against electricity. Usually. Tend to be. Look it works in my games, okay?"

Seiren recognized that his shoes didn't have enough kinetics stored in them to crack that creature's shell, but the bat might be able to after a good shock. Theoretically.

19. Sham

Sham Member

Ravnir rolled his shoulders, his fingers wrapping tight around the 'magical' leather grip that adorned his sword. It always felt natural to be holding Cirul Aira. He hadn't noticed the others filing out of the bar, his attention focused on strange crustacean that was not-of-this-world. He arched a brow at Luca's comment, sparing a glance at the man in red. "Butcher it? No. I am merely sending it back. A favor for us both."

Ravnir hefted his blade again, the creature entering the range which Ravnir considered 'close enough'. Which was still a good twenty meters. "Ravnir Star Treader is here to send you home!" He bellowed before charging forward, sword still on his shoulder. At that point, Ravnir might as well have been a tank barreling towards the crayfish. Except the tank had a sword almost 3 meters long and could swing it around with little effort.

Ravnir sidestepped the first swipe while Luca rolled away. He kept moving forward, bringing his greatsword around in a wide sweep at one of creature's legs. It'd be far easier to kill if it couldn't move around.

He noticed Luca taking a hit and tumbling away and Ravnir roared at the creature. "What!? You cannot handle a Raiken so you go after the squishy humans first?" He didn't have to wait long for his answer, finding himself staring down a beast several times his size. It wasn't unusual back home. He held his blade steady and vertical, bracing a forearm on it to keep it stable while he used it as a barrier against the pincers. "Much better!" He shouted over the sound of pincers meeting metal. He felt some of the claws drag along his forearms, but his plated scales kept him from harm. It'd take a lot more to break them.

When the pincer came snapping for his softer lower torso, Ravnir brought the blade in a sort of vertical semi-circle, attempting to push the claw to the side with the weight of his sword and the strength of his arms. If it failed, he could always leave his blade behind and retreat to safety to make a new blade. If it didn't, great. It'd probably disorient the strange creature for a few seconds.

Successful or not, Ravnir took the opportunity to take several steps back to reevaluate the fight. He heard the strange 'news people' arriving and someone referring to someone as a 'Gojira'. He wasn't sure what that was. A quick glance over his shoulder later and he saw Seiren, another strange, but much smaller human, looking at him. He would have shouted his anger at the squishy human, but the battlefield was no such place for that. He'd wait until they were finished before giving him a piece of his mind. He planted his foot firmly on the ground and shifted his ankle a little, muttering 'Erinsa' under his breath. After a few seconds, the ground near a nearby fire hydrant split in two and burst the underground pipe. Water for everyone, although Ravnir couldn't control where it went.

20. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

The chelti sized up the giant rampaging land yabbie, holding its glass weapon at its side.

"You know, I think it might actually be a hexopod..." It mused outloud as the rest of the crew scattered.

As Ravnir took his second stance, the chel exploded into motion. A grey and purpleblur of its riding gear running straight towards Ravnirs back, leaping up the raikens entire height, a pair of clawed boots landing atop his shoulders before the chelti jumped again. Straight towards the yabbie.

It looked like the chelti was going to sail straight over the top of the beast. But a hand grasped out and grabbed one of the eyestalks standing upright above the head. Pulling the large alien back over the head and landing on the hard shell behind. Trying to grab on with claw and maw.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice