Wiki Restructuring

Discussion in 'Site News, Announcements and Feedback' started by Luca, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Luca

Luca Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

We've made a lot of progress in the last several months getting Wandering Star's wiki filled with articles, guides, templates, and content for players to read and use, but I think now is the time to step back and do some double checks.

Our admin @Giddeon will be installing a plugin which will allow wiki administrators to move articles - and automatically rename any backlinks on other pages to that article. This is much quicker than doing things by hand, where things can get missed.

I noticed that this was the case after seeing the way time and calendars are handled, with too many directories being present for no reason, which can be nixed and the articles moved a directory downwards. This, and other examples are why we need to step back.

So, let's outline some of the current issues:
    • The starting page is daunting to look at, with how many articles are listed there.
    • There's directories like '/organisation' and '/organisations', and '/plot' and '/guide/plots' - this sort of tautology throughout the wiki needs to be eradicated, and the new structure enforced.
    • The 'guide' directory is way too bloated, and about half of its content needs to be redistributed to other places on the wiki, or merged with other articles and rewritten.
      • Many of the articles should be moved to more relevant namespaces. I'll oversee this.
    • The admins and I need to sit down together and do peer review of what we've written so far once we get what's here reorganised.
      • Especially regarding FTL, the other elements of setting history outside of the Aleph Cluster, and the physics of the setting. @Osaka has been hard at work trying to get everything done, but it all things need review.
    I want Wandering Star's content to flow logically, and be accessible for new players. After all, if we can't explain we want easily, it probably isn't very well structured.

Cheers,
    -Luca!

Osaka likes this.
  2. Osaka

Osaka 100% ʁμИ Staff Member

Very cool!

3. Giddeon

Giddeon Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for taking so long, the move plugin is now installed.

Luca likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice