1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LSDF Val'ta] - Upon a Floating World

Discussion in 'Lorath Matriarchy' started by Luca, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Luca

Luca Administrator Staff Member

Lorath Self-Defence Force Spaceport, Shipyard V-002 Galley
    Harper, Bronski, and Cascade set out together with a nod. Whether success or failure awaited them, they would see to the completion of their errand and acquisitions. With Ashlinn making arrangements and setting things in motion, it appeared to her higher-ups that she'd taken to a leadership role amongst the grunts, even those beyond her reconnaissance leader role. Even so, soldiers would be soldiers - and the humans amongst the Lorath were finding their own way to be themselves.

Lorath Self-Defence Force Spaceport, Bridge
    The command centre typed and directed under the glow of neural computers, embedded in workstations in the walls of the circular room, and making concentric rings. In the centre of the room was a large holographic table in a U-shape, chaired by the Captain, and the station's most senior and important staff. An Occhestian man, wearing a visored headset addressed Porrim. "Sensor data has come back regarding the system E-11." He said, conjuring an image of a red sun like Lor's in the centre, planets populating in. "Given your upcoming mission, we consider this relevant to your interests."

Gazing into hologram the before her, the Lmanel captain counted the planetoids in the diagram, and examined the fourth and fifth planets in particular - prime colony location. "Seven planets and an asteroid belt on Echo Eleven, just as I recall," she said, relieved that her memory of the system hadn't failed her thus far. What she couldn't count on however were the specifics. "And we have its location confirmed?"

The Occhestian nodded. A model of the system cartography of the Lorath systems was nearby, seven star systems in total. "Affirmative. Astrogation is possible, provided your ship can survive the journey." Thinking on this for a moment, the man looked up and sucked on his teeth. He knew of the experimental LSDF Val'ta, as there was nothing else which had passed through the shipyard quite like it. A shape like a fighter craft, festooned in long dendrites, and its mission long and lonely. A remnant of a cosmopolitan project pre-exodus, notably staffed by foreigners and Lorath. Many of its details and the records of its previous life were sketchy, but here and now as it was being rebuilt, there was only the will of the Goddess and Lor.

Above even those however, was the Captain's enthusiasm for new information regarding her upcoming 'test run', the first step to a larger journey which had her walking on air. "Splendid~!" she smiled, this meant she could begin planning her route and examining the planetary data while the finishing touches were put on the Val'ta's FTL engines. "Send the data to my office and I'll act on it shortly. Goddess be with you."

"And you too."
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

"Doctor Claire?" Er'red said very slowly.

The Ensign wasn't able to hide the curious glance at Claire as Ashlinn used the very familiar greeting, even though he had never said her name. However he puffed himself up once more.

"That's Doctor to you, Sarn! You will treat medical staff with some respect! That attitude is just short of heretical! Now did I make myself clear, or don't you take orders?" The ensign had clearly built up a head of steam as he continued full force." And the next time I see that ugly face of yours, I want it clean shaven! Dis-missed!"

Er'red didn't want for Sarns salute and turned on his head to head purposefully towards the medical bay. After about ten steps he turned to where Claire would have been and spoke cheerfully.

"I think that went rather well."
  3. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Ashlinn kept her face rather straight, despite the dazzling smile that, yes did actually reach her eyes, even if her face didn't reflect it until her attention turned back towards Er'red as she let the officer steam roll over her, She bit back the urge to point out she'd A.) Used doctor properly, and had addressed her based upon her civilian rank... and B.) She was a female and last she checked pretty much devoid of any hair except the mop atop her head and her eyebrows. And she'd be damned if she cut her hair. They might have to actually hold her down in order to perform a haircut. Or knock her out. There was a clack of Boots as she saluted and rather clearly, "Aye Aye Ma' a- Sir!" And she turned rapidly on her boot heels and aside from her pack didn't even break stride as she full on sprinted from the area. Like hell was she gonna stick around for the fallout from that timed delayed reaction.
  4. DragonNova

DragonNova New Member

Claire had been a bit distracted thinking of all the materials and furnishings she would have to either requisition or find planetside with her own funds when the yelling started. She had smiled warmly at Ashlinn's greeting and had even opened her mouth to respond when Er'red laid into her. She was left stuck mid sentence as Ashlinn left. Oh dear... She purses her lips and turns to Er'red with a raised brow. "Take it easy, hon. She was doing fine. I know we all want to establish the pecking order here, but lets not cause problems before we even get underway, mm?" Of course, she hadn't even thought of the phrase 'pecking order' being possibly offensive to a bird-like species, beak or no.

She did her best not to snicker at Ashlinn's supposed slip up at the end. Though a hint of amusement in her eyes still showed even through her carefully maintained poker face.
  5. Luca

LSDF Spaceport, Shipyard V-002, Galley
    Porrim was spotted a several minutes after she'd left earlier, walking through the galley with a spring in her step. She was being followed by something much larger than she was - the Lorath personnel, particularly Lmanel, didn't bat an eyelid at the beast. The human personnel gave it clear distance though - they could be forgiven for not knowing about the exotic fauna.

The creature had the head of a bird of prey, and the body of a quadruped. Its forelegs resembled a bird's talons, and the hindlegs and rear were as a horse's. Downy wings were tucked by the creature's side, as piercing golden eyes examined those nearby. This creature (known to humans as a Hippogriff) was her bonded partner, blessed with Lorath-level intelligence in return for providing Porrim with the ability to shift her form. Around the creature's neck and draping down was a collar with a draping sash, laced with small gemstones and rings in the fabric. A circular name tag read 'Vivian'.

The captain made herself and her partner an order for lunch, sitting by the head of the officer's table as her aspectation creature sat on the ground at the head. Porrim was eating a roasted flatbread with oil and peppers for a light snack, while her partner was pecking away at a mix of kibble and raw meat. To her side, Porrim's datapad was projecting the system data she was granted earlier - both Porrim and her beast paused to examine their route closer, whispering findings to each other.

"I can't wait for our engines and FTL to be back in working order," Porrim told Vivian. The creature nodded, gazing into the holographic display and watching the orbit of the planets in the E-11 system. Both Porrim and Vivian were eager to stretch their legs somewhere new, somewhere exciting.

LSDF Spaceport, Shipyard V-002, Medbay
    Waiting for Er'red and Claire at the medical facilities of the space-dock were two different sorts of assignments, one pertaining to the examination of some of the 'less fortunate' non-Lorath expatriates, and the other relating to the mental states of the survivors - coping with amnesia, loss, and other events. Er'red's task was grisly, inspecting and tagging what was left of a family whose ship was reported to have 'devoured itself' as though squeezed from without shortly after the jump.

An office for psychologists wasn't far away from the medbay either, waiting for Claire to staff the area. Immediately outside the area was a coffee table with some old magazines on it, and a bookshelf stacked with a couple of rows of fiction and non-fiction books. A rug beneath the coffee table brought the room together, while a television tuned to a weather channel provided relaxing scenery. Upon Lor, a cold front was pushing a raincloud towards the capital, bringing approximately fifteen millimetres of rain throughout the day, and clearing up tomorrow afternoon.
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Ashlinn had a tablet launched towards the back of her head in reply. Er'red not stopping to see if it hit or not.

As they reached the medical wing, Er'red sighed at the task description before opening the display on the wall with a gesture, his data tablet having mysteriously disappeared, the projection moved with them as they walked down the corridor. He peered at the wall as he read the document, leaning closer as the details made themselves manifest.

Something was clearly wrong with the report. Somehow a starship had been crushed like a tin can in space when its primary structure disappeared in transition, and the hull collapsed upon itself like a tin can similar to high pressure destruction. But the inside of the oxygenated starship should have been at higher pressure than that outside space.

Er'red raised an eyebrow and turned to Claire. "I'll be in the theatre for a while, you might need to mend the odd cut finger and such. The computer will relay to me if you have any questions or need help."

Er'red slipped through the medbay doors to get his robes and gloves on and get ready to enter the operating room.
  7. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

In the retreating distance there was a yelp and the clatter of a data pad... which made it's way into Ashlinn's rat bag as she rubbed the back of her head and turned the corner to grin at Harper, Bronski and Cascase, "Lets get to it. The Lorath may have great equipment, but we need to get some stuff put together that's suitable for our.... unique... brand of capabilities. To that end..." She'd hold up Er'red's data pad and smile, "I have acquired for us a medical data pad...to be returned to it's owner eventually." The trio just snorted, they'd seen it all and knew better. Their leader might be a few cards short of a full deck but results were results. A few seconds of fiddling with the pad and Ashlinn was staring at it, "You know, Er'red may be stupid for pitchign the thing at me. But at least the computers smart enough to know better. Ah well." She'd flip the pad to Harper, "You're the resident digital warfare tech, Don't get caught with it. And don't do anything I wouldn't do with it."

Harper just grinned as he looked it over, "I can probably reformat it. Guess I can cross data pad off my list. Though, you keep it bosslady - We all know yer sweet on the ensign." He'd hand it Back ot Ash with a laugh as the group began heading down the hall before they split up at the barracks and went to work gathering up their own minions and sketching out their plans.
  8. Luca

The datapad that Ashlinn had managed to fob off of Er'red didn't go unnoticed by the device. Photographs of Harper and Ashlinn's faces were taken silently as they passed the pad around, and Harper inspected the lock screen. None of the mix of Maidenhand fingertips and combat glove tips matched a trusted user. It presented input for a passcode with several digits required, sequence unknown. The background on the device was a gentle gradient of tan descending into grey - quite plain - the text meanwhile was in Lorath Ly'thir script. Blocky, dotted, baroque to those who didn't know it was a phonetic language.

Handling the thing, Ashlinn couldn't help but feel as though she'd get in trouble for this - but to fulfil her mad errands and keep the men from acting out in even worse forms of boredom, a few eggs had to be broken and feathers ruffled, literally.

Meanwhile, a man in the waiting room recognised Ms. Winters' med-staff armband on her right arm - he'd seen it on the medical staff making rounds while he watched and waited for a breakthrough in communicating his problems. It was the familiar face that drew them towards Claire - he was apprehensive towards the clinical Lorath and much preferred speaking to his own. This man's face wasn't much however - heavy browed, and button-like nose.

The redhead's datapad chimed. The message on her planner told her to prescribe medication to this individual, named 'Sammi Yattero'. Listed occupation was an asteroid miner, and an expatriate who'd followed the Lorath to the new world. The patient had suffered an exposure to the vacuum of space, and had been hit with a dose of ionising radiation, in addition to a number of other injuries. The doctor recognised the medications (written in Basic, thankfully) as anti-radiation pills and intravenous liquids, and other treatments against the vacuum.

She had to walk Mr. Yattero through what each of the different drugs did, their parts in the treatment plan, and hand him the written instructions. Afterwards, his family would be able to follow the plan and grab each future refill of the prescription. Most of all she had to set the miner's mind at ease - he was also presenting symptoms of anxiety, mostly worried about being unable to recover and provide for his family.

LSDF Spaceport, Shipyard V-002, Operating Room
    A Lorath man of Occhestian caste stood in the operating room, quietly regarding the cadavers resting in the centre of the room. Four bodies lay on the operating slab with a white cloth draped over three of them, save for their toes - tagged.

The uncovered specimen was alleged to be a male in their thirties, possibly overweight judging by the fat content found in what was left of him: Half of a torso, most of a face and a bonus cybernetic eye, and the right leg. The texture of his skin was like leather, the muscles like overdone jerky, as organs had been pushed into the intact portions of his ribcage. Whatever else was unrecognisable was laid beside him in no particular order. Some identifiable personal effects were laid with the viscera, including a blood caked, fragmented wrist-computer.

"Grisly, isn't it?" The Occhestian said, wondering aloud with Er'red in earshot as he passed the nurse a glance. "You should've heard the black box recording. Creaking, screaming in confusion, then very abrupt silence." Clearing his throat and grabbing his datapad in one hand and a cup of strong coffee in the other, he got down to business: "Anyway, this man had cybernetics in his cranial region, including an eye replacement. Thank goodness most of it is intact - we could probably recover his last memories, maybe something else."

Taking a sip, he indicated his cup towards the additional corpses, all covered still. "The other three have nothing salvageable per say since they're missing heads, but they're there if you're interested in showing the interns something strange later on. 'Effects of detranslation on human family of four', hm?" Snaking up from underneath the operating table and onto an articulated bar above was a tube packed with cabling, with a pen-like applicator resting in a holster. A pico-jelly head was ready to configure itself into any number of known and unknown configurations, an all purpose multitool for the job.

The normal array of sharp, sterile tools laid upon a wheeled tray, for finer handiwork. Amongst the razor-sharp scalpels, clasps, forceps, and other shiny, painful-looking medical doodads was a toothy bonesaw hanging by one side. On the other side was a projector and recepticle for a datapad.

Only when Er'red realised he needed his datapad did he notice it wasn't on his person. However, that could wait - the medbay had plenty of serviceable computers with which to work on, capable of accepting his credentials. It'd only be a little inconvenient until the Ensign his pad back.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  9. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Ashlinn knew very well she'd be in shit for having the pad. If you asked her if she cared, she'd point you to the section of it marked 'Planning' and the words 'I've forgotten to figure the fucks into the plan, again. We Do This Live, Bitches.' Because all of her best plans were seat of her pants. such as sending out the scouts and foot pounders out to hook, crook, wheel, wheedle and deal with the station suppliers, forges and chains of command to get things done. She'd spin the pad around between her fingers and look it over slowly, "You know, Computer. This would be so much easier to explain away if you cooperated once in awhile." She'd shrug, pad stuffed into a cargo pocket as she glanced to cascade and grinned deviously, "Lets go find us some engineers and rope them into some trouble. Hopefully their jimmies don't get rustled on all the crow stuck in the craw."

Sammy glanced sidelong at Ashlinn, "You know, Ma'am. Back home...wherever that is, You may have been drawn and quartered for the shit you pull over on the Ensign... or is it El Tee now?... Lorath ranking is a bitch to remember some days." Ash shrugged, "Apparently I think far enough outside the box it's considered an asset? I don't know. Either way - Lets go find us some engineers and get them to help us draw up the designs for that body armor. I still have to sell the idea of renaming use non-lorath infantry into a Resource Exploration and Procurement Engineer Regiment."

Cascade tilted her head and mulled that over, "Reapers. You want them to call us Reapers." Ashlinn grinned as she held up hard light representation of combat armor that would let her soldiers do what she had planned for them ,"It makes us ten times more useful an asset to them, And all of us are trained on how to use a cutting torch, and prybar to get into and out of ships. The suits are unisex, easily reproducible, and honestly? think of it like this, The Lorath have enough issues of their own to handle. I see a niche for us to fit into. Salvage marines. Every one of us is capable of both combat and non-combat roles. We can spot resources that should be safeguarded and held. Hell, even on the Val'ta we'll be an asset since-" They'd duck into the barracks to drop off their bags and get a quick headcount before the two women slipped out, "As I was saying - We'll be a valuable asset to the Val'ta as both scouts on the ground and if they need things salvaged and taken apart for them we can do that job as well. Breaking things is our specialty, I mean we're grunts." She'd hold up the hard light design with a grin, a laughing skull flickered across the face plate of the helmet. Cascade just glanced at Ashlinn for a moment, "Better to ask for forgiveness after the fact then huh?"

"I knew you'd see it my way."
  10. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

LSDF Spaceport, Shipyard V-002, Medical Operating Theatre

Er'red sighed sadly as he came into the room and took in the scene, as the Occhestrian mortician explained and speculated Er'red got washed up and into his smock and gloves. As he finished putting the mask over his face he reached for his datapad that normally hung in easy reach at his waist to find it missing. Er'red sighed again, he'd should have at least remembered to retrieve his datapad if not also his temper. Well, there was only so much the furry eared woman and her gaggle of miscreants could wreck with a secured datapad by the time he was done here.

"The cause of death is obvious, of course, but we do not know the cause of the cause of death." Er'red paused to think about the words that had just come out of his mouth, eyes tipping sideways before nodding to himself and resuming.

"The effects of detranslation are still not well understood, while the possibility that we can discover anything the engineering teams have not is remote, we must make the attempt. We'll start with the gentleman. Recovering that implant and passing it to the techs." Er'red said, moving to the table as the mortician put the other bodies into the cool metal lockers for now.

The young intern carefully selected the pico-jelly tool in one hand and a pair of small forceps in the other, leaning over carefully above the remains of the head. The head of the pico-tool forming four thin flanges and using it to push aside the mangled tissue, cartilage and shards of bone. As he started digging to root out of the base of the eye implant and disconnect it safely, the Ensign frowned.

"Wait, I have interns?"

Er'red operated, in a vague sense of the word, steadily, being careful not to disturb too much on the body so as not to disturb any possibly evidence. However, since the patients functions no longer needed to be maintained things went much faster than with a living patient. With a few incisions, and a small amount of manual torque, the implant was removed intact from the remains of flesh and placed into a tray to go to the techs along with the wrist computer after some viscera removal. Taking tissue samples just in case and taking a brief examination over the other injuries. All appeared to be consistent with crush damage along with hard vacuum exposure, however the radiation burning on some of the tissues was unusual the body should have had minimal exposure to the outside space.

Er'red concluded that it might have come from the ships internal systems but noted it for the record. Death was probably instantaneous. After making a visual scan for anything else of interest, Er'red passed the body onto the mortician to be scanned for any other cybernetic implants that might help them find out what happened. As Er'red pulled the next cadaver from out of the lockers and into the light, the computer beeped at him, a screen appearing on the wall.

At the top of the screen were the words, in bold important capitals:

Er'reds eyes narrowed as he looked at the large, low pixel image of Ashlinn and Cascade staring back at him with stupid looks of unwitting concentration on their faces. He turned back down to the body in front of him, pulling back the cloth covering to resume.

"Not funny, computer." He finally muttered accusingly.
  11. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Throughout the day Er'red would likely start receiving more of those messages.
    Ashlinn and Cascade at the barracks throwing up the rocker horns.
    A picture of the tablet in the mirror dressed in a hula skirt and lei with Ashlinn wearing stupid over sized glasses and a 'Wish you were here!' beach style postcard crudely drawn on poster board or paper...
    Another one of Ashlinn in an EVA suit outside an airlock holding a giant sign, 'Best Date Ever!' with cascade holding a thumbs up in the corner of the picture, obviously suited up in EVA gear as well.
    A Rather concerning image of Ashlinn, Cascade, Harper, and Bronski in the mess hall, 'Don't forget to eat!'
    And possibly the most terrifying of all, An image of an outstretched hand reaching for Er'reds moss garden....

Edit: Words.
  12. Luca

"Course you got interns," The Occhestian said, taking a long sip of their coffee as he supervised Er'red. "How else will the next generation of students learn? You gotta show them the edge-cases and exceptional circumstances," the lanky man leaned in as Er'red placed the wrist computer down on a specimen tray, "and there's no time like now to do so, what with all the detranslation." The senior doctor glanced towards the other cadavers under sheets.

The supervising doctor put an empty cup down away from the operating table, it was taken away by a helashio lab assistant and refilled. "Can I interest you in a cup?" He proposed wile the surgeon was at work, looking towards their assistant. The helashio had two cups in front of them, pouring coffee into one and placing it on a tray and presenting it to their master.

The senior doctor took the coffee and ran it under his nose with a smile, steam stinging lightly as it conveyed a caffeinated odour. "Tell you what, if there's one thing humans can be good for - it's this stuff..." he said, savouring the smell before taking the first piping hot sip, burning all the way down his throat and heaving a sigh. "Kinda wish we had more of it on the Aka-huh?"

A stream of notifications spoiled Er'red's focus and got the Occhestian's attention as they were popping up on the screen, caused by Ashlinn and her merry band of hellraisers toying with the Ensign's datapad and taking it on an adventure. Bemused, the senior Occhestian put a hand over their mouth to conceal a widening grin. "Are these the humans Porrim has you working with?" He asked, knowing the other things humans could be counted on being was unpredictable - especially with what Ashlinn was sending to the Ensign. "They look like a fun bunch."

Noticing the Ensign's rising ire at the soldiers' misuse of his datapad, the doctor could see that they crossed a line once the mossy rocks were in the picture. Not that they understood the significance of the rocks to the nurse - but they clearly meant something to him.
  13. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Er'red continued worked as he and the doctor spoke, a steady, measured pace as his eyes peered intently at his work, only looking up at the offer of coffee. He tilted his head at the mug of steaming liquid curiously, reaching out but stopping himself as he looked at his bloody glove.

"Certainly plenty of edge cases with this crew." he replied deadpan. "I might have some later, I don't want to ruin your mugs."

The supervising doctor waved a hand dismissively.

"I'm sure there's worse." he said, waving the helashio ahead.

Er'red nodded his thanks to the doctor and took the mug gingerly, raising it carefully to his lips, keeping the glove on the other side from his mouth. He spluttered at the taste and stuck his tongue out to indicate his displeasure, but a few seconds later raised the mug again and took a second sip, the reaction slightly less negative this time. Slowly the mug drained until Er'red was nodding slightly.

"Maybe the humans are onto something here." He admitted slowly, handing the mug back to the helashio. Not too much bloodier than when he took it.

Another as they spoke the hula tablet popped up with Ashlinn and her co-conspirators going on their continuing holiday with it.

Er'red continued working as he talked, looking up and grimacing at the occasional picture popping up on the wall. There was nothing of interest in the female, he went to the next body.

"Technically most of these are the sub-variety called Maidenhands. They seem stronger, with better sensory organs, but, it appears, less intellectual faculties than the vanilla stock. The captain took custody of some on a previous mission, she seems to keep adding to her collection ever since." The nurse replied when asked about working with humans.

Then came the picture.

Er'red froze. Staring at the wall over the small corpse. His muscles tightened, putting the scalpel off angle before he quickly corrected it. The pico-jelly head on the forceps grew confused and sputtered into a hundred different arms and joints before resigning back into a ball.

The doctor could sense right away when his posture remained the same, but his muscle tightness changed.

Taking a deep breath he stood up slowly, the crumpling of his smock loud as claws on steel in the sudden quiet. The scalpel slowly went into the tool tray, and then the male nurse turned towards the door.

"Excuse me." He said simply.

The room seemed to pass around him more than he felt himself walk through it, his vision tunneling towards the door, and then out into the medbay and into the corridor. Not looking left or right. The expression on his face sending several staff members to back away in shock, and some helashio to squeak and hide.

He did not run. But every step he took gave the outside impression of stepping a mile. His footsteps getting faster and faster as he closed towards his quarters. The footfalls claps of thunder before the storm that was Er'red. Become the force of nature.

After sending two dozen or so crew scurrying for cover around other corners, he came to the officers corridor. This feet barely touching the floor as he stormed up to his door. Impatient for the computer to open, he seized the lip of the door and pulled it open with one dramatic slash of his arm. The metal crunching in complaint. The ensigns shoulders rising as he sucked in a snarling breath through his nose in preparation for someone to die this day.

His eyes swished first to his precious moss garden under its little artificial light. It was- it was untouched. Suspecting trickery his eyes shot across the room scanning for threats. Nothing. On the bed, there lay his data tablet, tied up in an adorably tied bow with all the postcards taken from Ashlinns adventures during the day.

His shoulders dropped below the danger threshold as he looked at it. Still suspecting some trick he looked around the room one last time before seeing his hand on to door. He'd sent his fingers straight into the lip of door recess, scrapping them bloody on the knuckles in the process. It was at that moment, the adrenaline of rage left him suddenly able to perceive sensation.

14. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

The question of just exactly how the two Maidenhands got into Er'reds room would be a mystery Ashlinn and Cascade planned to take to their graves.

Eventually the two arrived at their destination, quite oblivious to Er'reds plight. Ashlinn however paused as she put a finger up to her lower lip, "You ever get that feeling as if you just had someone walk across your grave?"
    Cascade took a moment to rub the back of her head and think, "Yeah, boss."
    "I'm fairly certain someones dancing on mine." A shrug ensued as the two women stepped into the stations resident Corps of Engineers in order to commandeer themselves one for a few hours on a joint project for mutually beneficial mayhem.

The concept was simple, and something Ash was confident could be easily manufactured at stupidly low costs to the Lorath. The bodysuits themselves weren't anything special, they just needed to be resistant to small arms and to kinetic close quarters weapons. What she was really after was the armor itself to which she presented the entire infantry sections concerns to the poor engineer that got stuck with the two women. If Er'red thought they might be lacking intellect he'd possibly be a bit surprised to find out their capacity grew a bit when they were gathered together and working towards a goal. Or it could be passed off as situational ingenuity. Whichever. By the end of short session she presented the hard light reconstruction of what the crew hoped could be the ideal R.E.A.P.E.R kit. Low cost, modular Semi-powered armor that could be situationally and individually configured for deep space salvage, recon and combat. Ash wanted to be able to present the whole package to Porrim and the Loraths resident quartermaster only after having the engineers figure out the logistics and how the setup would boost the more human-derived members effectiveness. Hopefully the whole thing would make them a major asset that the Lorath could utilize as a on-sit means of stripping out the most intel, salvage and profit from any situation they were presented.

Eventually Ash and Cascade stepped from the offices where Ash stretched and yawned, "How much you want to bet the El Tee spends a good half hour trying to figure out what I screwed with in his room, another few minutes putting me on report, and then next muster a few minutes dressing me down?" A sidelong glance revealed Cascade's mirth to Ashlinn as the slightly more compact and lithe maidenhand glanced at her boss, "Oh you're most certainly gonna catch holy hell for it. Truth be told? You deserve every moment of it, antagonizing the poor bastard..." A peel of laughter rippled from both women as they wandered off to the mess hall.
  15. Luca

LSDF Spaceport, Shipyard V-002, Mess Hall
    Striding into the mess hall, the Maidenhand posse elicited some choice looks from some of the Lorath staff - some of their equivalent of Military Police had started to keep a tab on this particular batch of people, given that Ashlinn had something of a rapport with the human contingent living on the base. In particular, Cascade had been classed a security risk for acquiring an officer's personal datapad.

The litany of misgivings and property-related tomfoolery had been forwarded to Porrim, and her response had been to issue warnings and stints of menial duties to the culprits. No one had been harmed directly by the Hellraisers' actions, but it was still poor behaviour that required some pushback. Porrim had concluded that her soldiers were starting to get restless - being cooped on an unfamiliar station together for such a long time with nothing but each other.

Earlier, the duo were looking through pictures the Hellraisers had sent from Er'red's datapad, grin spreading across the Captain's face as she saw the exploits of the human 'salvage team'. She showed one of the pictures to Vivian, who trilled with birdy laughter. "Look - they even got close to his rocks, that must've upset him," Porrim pointed out before swiping to another picture on the evidence pile. Vivian had once pecked one of the mossy rocks to figure out what it was - she was awfully sorry afterwards and wouldn't do it again.

Here and now, Ashlinn spotted Porrim sitting at the officer's table, next to her aspectation partner. The Hippoigriff was looking into the datapad on the table, a talon resting nearby, clicking against the plastic on the edge. The Lmanel captain indicated towards a mote of star systems data floating in the holographic display, and the bird creature took a closer look at it, tapping on the datapad and bringing up another piece of information. Porrim nodded, looking closer at what Vivian had pointed out - they were cross-referencing.

All the weird creatures Ashlinn had been seeing with the Lmanel lorath - large and small - were clearly smarter and more aware of their surroundings than they looked, not mere pets or living ornaments. In her time and experience, Ashlinn saw the animals Maidenhand officers kept around were just that and no more, even if their literary or literal qualities were to be embraced or idolised one way or another.

The two didn't seem to be fairly busy, and their respective meals sat empty and consumed. Perhaps it was possible for Ashlinn to pitch the REAPER kit idea towards her Captain, and get her to pass it on.
  16. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Ashlinn and Cascade were doing their best to not draw attention, though the pair did since they were like night and day. Either way the dynamic Duo did a passing headcount and between the two of them managed to account for most of the grunts who likely weren't racked out or in a gym somewhere.

Harper and Bronski were enjoying their meals off to the side and drew the girls attention towards the Lorath staff as subtly as possible which brought a half smirk from the tall blonde as she nudged Cascade towards the other two, "I see Porrim over that way. Strike while the iron's hot and before the security staff catches up to us. OR hopefully if they have, Porrims suitably amused by the antics to at least give my little suggestion some thought."

Cascade just gave the other Maidenhand a grunt, "Pretty sure they already know if those looks are any indication, boss."

Ashlinn's gaze slipped to the corner of her eyes and she managed a nod, "Yup. Makes my job easier. Restless soldiers are a liability. We get in trouble, we get extra duty, we get bored. We get even more rowdy. The new kit and reassignment'll fix that in the long run. Whatever time not spent working will be spent training, re-training, drilling and live-fire-testing." She'd pat Cascade on the back, "Besides - 'This is the Job', that's our motto right?"

The shorter woman made a face, "That's going to take some getting used to. Go. Good luck." Ash peeled off from Cascade's side while the other woman went over to settle into her seat and trade jabs and insults with the other three and bring them up to speed and show them what the fruits of creativity had cultivated.

Withdrawing her own datapad and clearing her throat, she'd offer it towards Porrim as she waited to be acknowledged, "Cap'n, Ma'am? If you have a moment?" When and once Porrim did acknowledge Ashlinn the woman pretty much word-vomited the idea instantly, "I'd like your..." she trailed off before the train caught traction and the gerbil got back on the wheel, "Authorization to Re-class those of us Non-Lorath personnel under my command into a dedicated role more fitting to the Val'ta's mission. And... It would give us something to rally us under. An ideal, err...a symbol that would give the pride and make them want to work twice as hard for the pride of wearing the kit we came up with for the job."

Across Ashlinn's datapad, if Porrim had taken it would flash the header for Ashlinns idea: LSDF Val'Ta Resource Exploration and Procurement Engineer Regiment (R.E.A.P.E.R). Followed swiftly by a quick rundown of the assets required to make the regiment work, the required amount of time to set it up which for the most part would be near zero as most of the soldiers were already familiar with the requirements. The most expensive item in the whole kit would be the fusion cutters that every Salvage Marine would be required to maintain and know even more intimately than their last girlfriend since it would be, in addition to a standardized combat kit, their main tool for their job when not scouting or performing hazard duty in hostile environments.

A hard light representation of the skinsuit, followed by the low-cost-easily-made power-armored shell and kit parts that every Reaper could easily swap for what jobs were needed and to personal taste. In the end Ashlinn shifted her stance, "You can even bill it as the LSDF's idea and present it yourself to them if you'd prefer - Either way it would bond the rest of us non-Lorath to the Matriarchy for life, or until cashiered out." Each marine would be signing on to carry the debt of their own personal kit and any augments required to keep them functional should they get injured along the way. Once they covered the cost of their equipment, pay and time spent training the marine could re-sign on with the REAPERs for life, or cashier out with any pay they'd collected up til that point.

In short, the Reapers stood to make themselves more of an asset to the Lorath in the long run and offset the cost of founding the whole thing over time. It also put them very firmly in the chain of command with the 'Reaper Boss' Directly under the ships Captain and XO and flowing down to Shift Managers in charge of Shift Leaders and from there down to Squad Bosses and then the meat of the whole endeavor: The Marines themselves. At the very bottom of the whole thing Ashlinn and the financial actuaries of the Lorath had settled down and run the hard numbers on cost which was rather steep for initial setup. The real prize was next to that. The projected income and a maintainable bottom line well into the black.

Ashlinn could feel the trickle of sweat on the back of her neck as she glanced between Porrim and her aspect. Rather..keenly aware that while her own tended to have pets and mascots, Porrim's was very much as part of the woman. She sorta envied that, having a companion with it's own unique perspective and thoughts on things.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017
  17. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

LSDF Val'ta, Medbay

Er'red sighed as a very quiet Emi finished cleaning his hand and started putting bandages over the cuts and scrapes from pushing the door too fast. Her small hands working quickly as her old training took over. He watched her as she worked, she was decent, but not as good as Lorath staff, naturally.

"So, how did you end up cutting yourself so bad?" She asked heistantly. Her eyes only briefly flicking up to him before dipping back to his hand.

"Someone broke into my room." He said flatly, clearly not willing to disclose further.

Emi tilted her head, and looked up at him through a string of blonde hair. Blue eyes peering up knowingly with a small smirk.

"Ah, your moss collection." She said, nodding and going back to wrapping up Er'reds fingers in bandage.

Er'red's pale eyebrows went up in surprise as he looked at the cat-haired human in a new light. Before acknowlodging her insight with a small nod.

"Thanks for that. Everyone else thinks it's a rock collection." He said quietly, sighing as he felt the last knot on the bandage take hold and Emi put it into place.

"Hey, why don't you come down here from time to time. You could really help me out with some of the weird injuries we get on this ship." Er'red said quickly as he stood up and tested his bandages, clenching his hand slowly. The work was good.

"Hmm, sounds a lot like work. I'll think about it." Emi replied, with a small coy smile.

She waved lightly as he walked out back to his duty station, before sighing and turning to look at the rest of the medbay. Tipping her head as she took in the shining clean equipment. She supposed she could hang around here some more...
  18. Luca

"...hm, you're right, we do have to account for any changes in our flightplan due to engineering difficulty. We'll add some extra slack time to our schedule to stay on." Porrim spoke to Vivian, after the Hippogriff had reminded Porrim to account for any difficulties. "We'll keep Michael aboard for such an occasion. And if the need doesn't arise, he can find ways to amuse himself." She could add those deviations to the plan later, for now their brainstorming session had wrapped up.

Vivian was wary of Michael - the Val'ta's shipwright always stunk of metal and grease, and his hands were not ideal for petting creatures. However, Michael was at least receptive of Vivian in return, trying to make nice despite himself by offering food scraps and banter. It was the Val'ta's other shipwright who deserved peckings in short order since she smelled like an Ey'tis - and probably tasted like one too judging by the nip Vivian gave.

The bird-creature looked up at who was approaching, clicking its beak to get Porrim's attention. The captain looked up and saw Soldier Ashlinn Sarn with a datapad in her hand - placing it down in front of Porrim. Vivian looked down at it too, beak touching the edge of the pad.
    "Yes, Soldier?" She replied, looking into the pad's display.
    Porrim and Vivian looked down at the pad together. Without acknowledging Breyja, Porrim weighed in on the preliminaries of the Maidenhand's pitch. "After what I heard you and your cadre get themselves into, I am glad you are making amends by being constructive and helpful towards our cause." She said, putting her finger down on the pad and swiping at the image of the armour, making it rotate in place as she inspected the particulars of the armour. "However, you will forgive me for being sceptical because of your misgivings, yes?" Vivian's beak hovered dangerously close towards Ashlinn, but there was no pecking from the beast - yet.

The acronym Ashlinn had produced elicited a chuckle of amusement - humans were quite canny at coming up with aptonyms. Plasma and fusion cutters were not tools that grew on trees, and maintaining armour was something many soldiers struggled with - a self-propelled unit would have to display both technical acuity, resourcefulness, and battlefield discipline.
    "With respect, I do not dress the creations of others as my own - this is your idea and creation," Porrim offered - she wanted the soldier to stand on her own two legs, but the offer of 'bonding' themselves to the Lorath was a tempting one, causing her to drum her long fingers against her chin. "That said..." she said with a musical lilt, "if you and your posse are willing to prostrate yourselves to the Lorath..."

Porrim had an idea though - Vivian passed her handler a glance, and although incapable of grinning (as they lacked the necessary facial structure and muscles, being bird-shaped) it was clear she was in on it too. "I can call Michael Furze to chat to your team about this further. He is a highly technical sort of person - he would be very interested in the proposed mission to salvage components, as I do anticipate our mission will involve having to salvage unfamiliar technology and equipment, repurposing it for our own needs. If nothing else, he could do with a few helping hands."

Sliding Ashlinn's pad back to her, Porrim had one last question: "I suppose you will be our first point of contact and 'Reaper Leader'?"
  19. Ashlinn

Ashlinn Member

Ashlinn managed to not break under Vivian's scrutiny, and even visibly managed to restrain herself from cooing and offering scratches under Vivian's beak. She was wary of the direction and tone of the conversation as she let Porrim weigh in and managed to conceal her relief when Porrim seemed nominally accepting of the idea, "I'll admit, my only real misgivings are due to the..fluid?... state most of us are currently stuck in. And honestly, Ma'am, I'd rather strike while the iron is hot and before someone else gets an idea that puts us in a less advantageous position. I'd rather those of us who can be useful, be useful in ways we know will benefit both sides of the proverbial fence."

Porrims firm stance on not re-selling the idea as hers was a bit of a surprise. Secretly she'd been hoping Porrim would have taken the bait and taken the hidden mountain of paperwork Ashlinn now had to magic up out of thin air to ensure the whole thing was stable. As a Soldier she wanted to whine and say that was officer shyte... As The Officer in charge she just hated paperwork. Thankfully Harper had already outlined everything so they could get that handled quickly. She seemed to be mentally checking things off a list before she glanced at Porrim, "Less prostrating, more being useful as combat engineers and deep space salvaging. If we're not working, we're training. If we're not training we're either dead, sleeping or still training." Apparently Ash had the work ethic of a robot.

"I'm sure Michael would love to see some of the idea's we've got and some of the non-standard out-of-the-box things we plan on doing to make sure that the whole Reaper-initiative is successful. And uh.. " She stumbled slightly over the whole phrase, 'reaper leader' They apparently hadn't worked that one out fully as she scrambled and then grinned since he couldn't exactly manage to stay serious for longer than required most days it seemed, "Enlisted ranks for the rank and file, officer ranks for the leaders, and Administration departments for everything else.... Since I'd be considered Reaper Commander that would make me both an officer and... " It dawned on her as her face paled slightly since the whole pitch was designed to make the REAPER corps a corporation style entity that exclusively contracted itself out to the Matriarchy, "CEO... "

'Oh god, what have I just done to myself?'
    Luca likes this.
  20. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Er'red stood in front of the door to the mortuary and sighed, before raising his hand to knock. Realizing he was about to knock with his bandaged hand, and quickly swapped to his unmangled hand to knock briskly on the door before entering. Bandaged hand clenched to try and minimize it. Walking in and standing habitually into the at-ease position.

"Sorry for leaving so abruptly, sir. If you don't mind, I'll continue my work." He said as entered.